Pimm’s Recipe and the history of our favourite summer tipple.
Pimm’s was founded in 1823 by a farmer’s son from Kent, by the name of James Pimm. He owned an oyster bar in The City near the Bank of England and began serving his very on creation.
The drink, a gin-based drink containing a secret mixture of herbs and liqueurs, was first offered as an aid to digestion, serving it in a small tankard known as a “No. 1 Cup”, hence its subsequent name. The large scale production of the drink, didn’t begin until 1851 in an effort to help keep up with demand.
Over the decades, Pimm’s has broadened their range, using other spirits as bases for new “cups”. In 1851, Pimm’s No. 2 Cup and Pimm’s No. 3 Cup were introduced. After World War II, Pimm’s No. 4 Cup was invented, followed by Pimm’s No. 5 Cup and Pimm’s No. 6 Cup in the 1960s.
The brand has known several owners over the years and is currently owned by the drinks giant Diageo, who acquired the company in 1997.
Here at Brocklehursts we love a glass of Pimm’s in the warmth of the British summer, particularly when it’s served in one of our lovely glasses.
Here’s one of our favourite recipes:
200ml Pimm’s No. 1
sprigs, sliced cucumber, sliced orange and strawberries, to serve
Fill a jug with ice and pour over the Pimm’s and lemonade. Give it a good stir then add the mint, cucumber and fruit.